Many of you might be unaware of what serotonin is and its importance in our day to day life. Serotonin basically acts as a neurotransmitter for a brain, where some people also consider it to be a hormone. Serotonin plays an important role in your daily routine as it contributes to your mood, social behavior, appetite, digestion, sexual desire function etc. Serotonin deficiency can often lead to various health issues such as mood fluctuations, disturbed sleep patterns, depression. To avoid these health alignments you can naturally increase your serotonin levels simply by eating some foods which will, in turn, lead to a more healthier mental state.
Foods which are specified as a serotonin raising do not affect serotonin levels directly. Those foods contain precursors which trigger out the release of serotonin and make your brain work much better and faster. So check out our best five picks for your brain’s happy chemical.
1. Pumpkin seeds:- These beautiful tiny green seeds are not only tasty but also a powerhouse of many nutrients and vitamins, an essential amino acid like L-tryptophan which is a direct precursor to serotonin, also an omega acids omega 3, omega 6, iron, zinc, magnesium, all of these play an important role in raising serotonin levels.
2. Seafood: – Seafood like tuna, clams, oysters, crabs, mackerel, salmon, herrings, halibut etc. All of these are high in L-tryptophan and a very good source of serotonin, Fishes like wild salmon and sardines contain EPA and DHA and tryptophan including these in one’s diet can improve mood.
3. Whey protein:- There is a commonly held belief that whey protein is mostly used by athletes and those bodybuilders who are seeking to improve muscle mass, however, this is just one of the many beneficial aspects which whey protein can deliver, Whey can increase serotonin levels by dramatically increasing tryptophan levels. Whey is basically abundant in alpha-lactalbumin which is naturally high in tryptophan, also tryptophan content is of the reason why alpha-lactalbumin consumption is much-recommended before sleeping.
4. Bananas:- Bananas are one of the best option if you are looking to raise your serotonin levels naturally they are high in A, C, K, B 6 all of these are basic components in the synthesis and metabolism of neurotransmitters which include serotonin and dopamine, bananas are also very good source of natural sugar with fibers thus provides optimum energy levels in the body.
5. Chia seeds:- Chia seeds are also an excellent source of tryptophan, one ounce serving of dried chia seeds contain about 202 milligrams of tryptophan, The tryptophan contains chia seeds much more than other seeds like sesame seeds sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, flaxseeds, Chia seeds are also predominant in essential amino acids like leucine, lysine, tyrosine, arginine that contributes to chia seeds protein content.
So these were our top picks to raise serotonin.These foods not only raise happy hormone but are also a very good source of essential nutrients for other physical alignments. Share our article if you liked it, thank you!